The UN Human Rights Council (HRC) is the main intergovernmental forum of the United Nations dealing with human rights issues.
Activists and States have used various tools for promoting visibility, raising awareness and building support for LGBT rights. These tools include the opportunity to:
- submit written statements;
- make oral interventions in the Council plenary;
- organise parallel panels on topics of interest;
- raise sexual orientation and gender identity issues during Council sessions with the High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- engage in interactive dialogue with the UN Special Procedures; and
- make individual or joint statements in support of sexual orientation and gender identity issues during general debate.
Through this box you will find a detail of each session regarding information on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Find detailed information on each session
For more information on ARC International’s advocacy at the HRC, see ARC International’s Guide to the HRC